CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES RESEARCH INITIATIVE
The Clinical Infectious Diseases Research Initiative at the University of Cape Town was established by a Strategic Award from the Wellcome Trust of Great Britain.
The Initiative is administered from the IIDMM by a Steering Group under the direction of Professor Robert J Wilkinson and the Initiative Operations Manager, Kathy Wood.
The Steering Group is comprised of Heads of Departments and Research Group Leaders within or associated with the UCT Faculty of Health Sciences.
The Initiative also has an International Scientific Advisory Board which is comprised of renowned researchers in the field of Infectious Diseases.
The objectives of the Initiative are:
- To offer Research Entry awards to scientists and clinicians predominantly from Africa as follows:
- PhD candidates (Post Graduate Scholarships) - 3 year awards
- Post Doctoral candidates (Post Doctoral Fellowships) - 2 year awards
- MBChB graduates (Research Officers or Post Graduate Fellowships) - 2 year awards
- Visitors' awards either to UCT or from UCT to other centres of research excellence to obtain specialised skills - 1 year awards
networking for the benefit of all researchers especially the awardees.